[gothic-l] Re: Jassarfjoll

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Tue Jun 26 09:36:18 UTC 2001

Hi Dirk,

However, in Hungarian Jász (pronounced [ya:s]) means Alan. There are
many placenames in Hungary containing the word Jász, due to an Alanic
tribe that settled in Central Hungary probably in the 11-12th century
(or maybe earlier, in the 10th century). There are also a number of
Iranic words in Hungarian, mostly similar to Ossetic, that are
considered to be borrowed from these Alans (Jász) that were eventually
assimilated by the Hungarians.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> Hi Francisc,
>
> I think it is also believed that instead of the origin Jases, Ases,
> Alans, the Russian term Jas is simply derived from the name Jazyg.
The