[gothic-l] Re: Danparstadir

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Thu Jun 28 19:21:19 UTC 2001

Steve O'Brien wrote:
>As is the Danube (Danu-apa).  But sure danu "river" must be derived from IE
>*deh-nu and is closely connected with a water goddess cognatic forms of whose
>name is found in Irish (Danu), Welsh (Don), Greek (Danaus), and Vedic (Danu).
> Odd, though, that the Skythians, speaking an Iranian language, called the
>Danube the Tanais.

Can someone explain to me, now that we are at it, why the Greeks
in the Trojan war are ALSO called Danae?

Is it just coincidence, or is there some reason?
And when did the Greeks stop calling themselves Danae.
And why did they stop?

(hoping for an answer, even if it is now getting to be tangential)

Best regards
Keth