[gothic-l] Not Danparstadir

Alburysteve at AOL.COM Alburysteve at AOL.COM
Fri Jun 29 11:17:53 UTC 2001

Hi Keth:

>  Can someone explain to me, now that we are at it, why the Greeks
>  in the Trojan war are ALSO called Danae?

I would love to see a comprehensive treatment of indo-european tribal names.
I've always been suspicious of recurrent roots such as Wends, Veneti,
Vandals, etc.

>  Is it just coincidence, or is there some reason?
>  And when did the Greeks stop calling themselves Danae.
>  And why did they stop?

I can't say but always assumed that it was an ancient tribal/clan designation
like "Achaeans" whose desuetude followed the collapse of that kin group.

Tangentially,

Steve O'Brien
Albury, Ontario