[gothic-l] Re: Re: Visigothic castle

Friþunanþs Ximeneiks jimenezf at ALPHA.MONTCLAIR.EDU
Tue Mar 27 21:14:35 UTC 2001

Nikolai wrote:

> >    Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 02:20:48 -0500
> >    From: Friþunanþs Ximeneiks <jimenezf at alpha.montclair.edu>
> > Subject: Re: Visigothic castle
> >

> > I will try to list the major Visigothic monuments in Spain
> > sometime in
> > the future but at the moment I have a pile of papers to grade.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > F. X.
>
> I should like to see them. Do you, perhaps, know of any visuals
> upon the web pertaining to these monuments and architectural
> styles of which you have in mind?
>
> And the Gothic style allegedly came from Northern Italy first,
> not France, as a dim remnant of the OstroGoths influence.
> Whether it was directly influenced by them, or simply just in
> namesake, many believe the style came forth from the Florence
> region, intensifying during the beginning of the 14th century
> and further intensifying during the latter 14th century (most
> likely due to the general european moods and mindsets during and
> immediately following the first plague epidemics (Black Death)
> of 1347-1351 CE) and spreading throughout (I am speaking of the
> architecture, not the plague) Europe from there.
>
> What sources do you derive your conclusions from pertaining to
> France. I should like to read them, as well.
>
> =====
> Eternally,
> Nikolai

Hello Nikolai - Bertil ...and others...

Nikolai,
The elements of architecture are seen as a (process) - A borrowing of prior elements and a subsequent progression, development, and innovation of those
elements leading to new styles. The european continent has been influenced by a multitude of cultures and styles indicative in the outcome of the arts in
Europe. Basically - it is generally understood that (in later stages) a progression from Roman to => Pre Romanesque to => Romanesque to => Gothic can be
understood in European architectural elements. Though architectural styles in Europe [Romanesque (arch) and Gothic (ogive)] seem to have developed from
previous developments in Italy, they underwent their subsequent and greatest developments in France, Spain and Germany etc....
The basic plan of such buildings (for instance) is thought to have developed in the basilican plan of the Roman period in what is now Italy.

I hope that there was no misunderstanding but please note that by correlating the French use of the word Gothic, (Gothique - fr.) as a pejorative term of
derision towards that type of architecture I was not implying/stating that the French developed the architectural style ex-nihilo, though it certainly
was taken to its ultimate expression in France, and also Spain to name a few. (Opinion)

NOW---

I will take a not-so-brief break to include some links to some of the Visigothic Monuments in Spain (but please note).

The study of Visigothic art and architecture is a rather extensive and complicated undertaking. I am afraid that by just affording some links and
pictures the development and progression of its elements might be not be understood, therefore, I will try to offer an orderly exposition begining at a
later date. For now - Please enjoy the following items. Visigothic Architecture falls under the category of (Pre-Romanesque) which can fall under still
other sub-categories such as "paleo asturiana", "Ramirense" etc. Hopefully no confusion will occur by other nomenclature.
In later posts - I will point out more clearly what the (Goothic/Visigothic/Germanic) elements are.

There are several sites:
This first link is in Castillian, but despite the language barrier it is wonderful since it supplies 360 degree movable and zoomable views in the area of
the monuments. It takes a short while to load and it needs a plug-in, but the plug-in is supplied by the site and it is safe and worth the wait. NOTE:
(Microsoft Explorer is the better browser to use with the plug in). The page loads the first monument automatically in the active mode. You can stop the
movement, reverse direction, slow down or increase the speed of the camara by controling it with your mouse You can also Zoom-in and Zoom-out by using
the + (or) - keys on the numerical keypad at the right of your keyboard. Note the strip map at the bottom of the page. There you can find other monuments
though, not all are Visigothic.

I. FIRST SITE
The first site features Ramirense [attributed to King Ramiro I (842-850)] and one Alphnsene [attrib. to King Alfonso II] examples of Visigothic
Architecture.
1).  The first monument is Santa María del Naranco, on Mount Naranco just outside of Oviedo, [the seat of the second Visigothic Kingdom].
I was born in the city of Oviedo and as a child used to hike to this site with friends and family and actually played inside the monument many times. I
confess, I was a bad boy, and when my parents were not supervising me left a tiny bit of graffiti on one of the capitals. My appologies!
Santa Maria was the mountain palace of King Ramiro II later converted into a church.
Note the multiple roofs and the stone lattice-work on the windows, the latter are thought to be distinguishing characteristics of Asturian Visigothic
architecture.
2). The second monument is the church of San Miguel de Lillo also Ramirense.
3). The third is the Camara Santa (Holy Chamber) [linked by-"Interior de la Catedral"] in the Cathedral of Oviedo attributed to King Alfonso II.
http://www.ayto-oviedo.es/virtual/naranco.html

II. SECOND SITE
A good site for looking at some of the interior spaces and movable art objects of the Visigothic period. The site is in Astur, the language of Asturias.
Top to Bottom:
a. Interior part view of Sta. Maria del Naranco, Ramiro's palace; later a church.
b. Cruz de los Angeles, sometimes called Crz de la Victoris (Victory cross) state Symbol of Asturias, Pelayo is purported to have had the cross in his
possession at the battle of Covadonga, purported to be the first and most significant battle of the second Visigothic Kingdom in Oviedo against the
invaders of 711. Essentially the battle that began the Reconquest of prior lands.(Kept at the treasury of the Cathedral o Oviedo).
c. Interlacing on archway (note the interlacing and zoomorphic forms).
d. Motifs on capitals, discs and tiles.
e. Exterior of the stated palace
http://www.asturies.com/belenos/memoriacelta/Hestoria21.htm

III. THIRD SITE
a. Once at the site go to the bottom of the page and go up to the fifth photo; San Julián de los Prados, or Santullano. This monument is Alphonsene;
[Alfonso II, ]
b. Fourth from the bottom - Santa María de Bendones. This monument is also Alphonsene; [Alfonso II, ] - A good photo showing the the stone trelliswork on
the windows.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/03IJGA/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/wpHWlB/TM