[gothic-l] Re: Pietroasa (etymology +)

czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Sat Mar 31 08:30:58 UTC 2001

Dear Frithunanths,

I am the one who has to answer this question, since Pietroasa lies in
my country, Romania.
First, Pietroasa is not a city, but a village in the county of Buzau,
in the eastern part of Romania.
The name of the village, "Pietroasa", is not at all Gothic, but pure
Romanian and modern, meaning "stony" (feminine gender), from Latin
petrosa (Lat. petra = Romanian piatra = stone). The name comes from a
stone quarry that existed in the zone.
The treasure is surely Gothic, fact confirmed by the bird-shaped
fibulae, characteristic for Gothic-Gepidic art, and by the Runic
inscription on a necklace "GUTANI(O)WIHAILAG" (the "O" is not sure,
because in that place the necklace is broken), that is currently
interpreted as "gutane weih-hailag", meanig "of the Goths sacred-holy
[property]" (but there are also other readings and interpretations, I
already posted a message on this subject to this list).
The treasure is currently attributed to the Visigothic leader
Athanaric, that, according to Ammianus Marcelinus, organised a
resistance against the invadig Huns in a place named by the Goths
"CAUCALAND" (i.e. Hauha-land = "Highland") in the mountains called in
Latin "Montes Serorum". This place was identified with the curvature
zone of the Carpatian Mountais, namely with the Siriu mountains
(indentifyable with the "Montes Serorum"), that are not far from
Pietroasa, in the same county of Buzau. It is presumed that Athanaric
buried the treasure (which was not his personal treasure, but the
Visigothic national treasure) before the decisive combat with the
Huns. Being defeated, he was forced to retreat south of Danube and was
not able to recuperate the treasure, that remained buried until its
incidental discovery by a local peasant, in the XIXth century.
But there are also other theories, one of them attributing the
treasure to the Ostrogoths, one century later.
In this context it is noteworthy to mention the fact that another
Gothic treasure was discovered not far from Pietroasa, in the
neighboring county of Prahova, in a village named Chiojd. This
treasure is attributed currently to an Ostrogothic princess.
I know quite well the zone, because my mother is from the Prahova
county, and my father-in-law from the Buzau county, his birthplace
being quite close to Pietroasa. So I can tell you that there is no
Gothic influence in the folklore of the zone nor some other sort of
infuence. One thing maybe, but this can be only pure coincidence: in
the Buzau and Prahova counties there is a higher percent of
fair-haired, blue-eyed people than in the neighboring areas of
Romania, fact which could be interpreted by some contibution of Gothic
blood (or, more scientifically said, of Gothic genetic material) in
the local population. But I'm not sure if such an affirmation is
sustainable.

Awiliudo thuk,

Fragkisks

<> GUTANI WIHAILAG <>

--- In gothic-l at y..., Friþunanþs Ximeneiks - <jimenezf at a...> (Fernando
E. Jimenez) wrote:
> Wondering if anyone can shed some light on the etymology of the name
of
> the city << Pietroasa >>. Any links to the Goths? -- (
Etymologically of

http://us.click.yahoo.com/03IJGA/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/wpHWlB/TM