[gothic-l] Re: Analysis/Reconstruction of *Biari

Håkan hakan36 at SPRAY.SE
Tue May 1 22:18:37 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., jdm314 at a... wrote:

Yes, why not add it to the list. I have a faint memory
of 'chupacabras' appearing on the "x-files". But otherwise I think
that 'unbiari' and 'bjära' could be separate words. I mean that
Matthaius interpretation sounds realistic judged from my limited
knowledge. But it struck me that the two words had some similarity.
If the word is coming from the root that Matthaius suggests, then the
meaning could be "plough-by" or "ramming-by". If the general meaning
was "help-spirit" for 'bjära', that could explain some phenomena in S
Scandinavia. 'Bjära' mostly appears in old times in middle and north
Scandinavia. I wrongly said that it was called 'bjära' also in the
south, Scania/Skåne etc. But here the same being was
called 'mjölkhare'"milk-hare". Maybe this is a influence that derives
from the south. But it could also mean that the easter-bunny that
appears in anglo-saxon and german tradition is from the beginning
a "servant" or a "help-spirit" to for exemple a witch(häxa)or a
invisible helper to a peasant. %)

Håkan Liljeberg

of the icelandic spirit 'tillbera and the other being 'bjära', might
not be like ON 'bera' "carry", but more in the direction what the
moderator wrote. Or they might just be completely different beings
with a coincidental likeness.

> Hmmm, perhaps we could use this to reconstruct the Gothic word for
> chupacabras, and add it to my list of monsters I used to post on
Haloween ;)