[gothic-l] Re: Are EE Jews half-Goths?

l_labkovsky at HOTMAIL.COM l_labkovsky at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri May 4 18:10:01 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:

> Hi!
> As far as I know the kagan and his people in the Chazarian state
(Khazar)
> between rivers Dnjepr and Don konverted to Judanism sometime in the
9th
> century
> cheers Tore
>

> >Hi again,
> >
> >I still find that theory unconvincing. Perhaps one of the
linguists on
> >this list can solve the problem. Personally, I think that Yiddish
was
> >based on Middle High German not on East Germanic/Gothic.
> >Also, I think you said that there is no record of Jews from Germany
> >migrating to Eastern Europe. But I thought that there was an
explicit
> >invitation by a Polish King Kasimir to the Jews to come to his
realm.
> >Your theory still does not explain why this offspring of Goths and
> >Caucasions should have became Jews. I don't understand why somebody
> >who does not look German (as you say) but speaks German would
become
> >so confused by this that the next logical step is to adopt
Judaism???
> >Finally, we are pretty certain that Goths in the Ukraine mixed with
> >Sarmats, but we have no indication that they abandoned their
offsrping
> >as 'bastards' when they moved on.
> >
> >cheers
> >Dirk
> >Hi, Dirk! Remember that Sarmats were of Iranian origin and
therefore looked pretty much like Armenians or Georgians, so it's OK.
I'm sure that Ostrogoths disliked their Sarmatian offspring because
Mulatoes are always disliked by their purebred parents. Look at
Brasil or West Indies Mulatoes and how they are treated. Ostrogoths
didn't want the parental responsibility for these mixed-blood
offspring and escaped to Italy. Even today many men run away to avoid
parental responsibility. These "Mulatoes" were too embarrassed to
admit that they were Ostrogoth "bastards" so they invented the rumour
that they were Jews from Germany.I think that the Yiddish
word "mamzer" is how Ostrogoths called their mixed-blood offspring.
These offspring lived separately from Ostrogoths with their Sarmat or
Caucasian mothers and were called mamzer from the
word "mame"(mother)."Mamzer" is the "scariest" word in Yiddish by far.

> >You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a
blank email
> >to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.
> >Homepage: http://www.stormloader.com/carver/gothicl/index.html

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.sIrMC/YKfCAA/qvCFAA/wpHWlB/TM