[gothic-l] Re: Are EE Jews half-Goths?

angelique_oh at YAHOO.COM angelique_oh at YAHOO.COM
Fri May 4 20:26:39 UTC 2001

>     Now Yiddish does not have any of these vowel sounds, but this
is not to
> say that they never existed. It's just that ue, oe, and ae have
turned into
> i, and e(y). Compare the following-
>
> N.H. German     Yiddish     Gothic
> Hand                hant          handus
> Haende             hent         handjus
> Gott                 got            guth
> Goetter            geter         guda
> Bruder              bruder       brothar
> Brueder            brider        brothrjus
>
>     Yiddish may have changed the sounds, but it's clear that some
sort of
> umlaut is going on. Gothic, on the other hand, does not show vowel
changes in
> any of these words. So when a linguist says "Yiddish has no
umlauts" and
> "Gothic has no umlaut", he or she is really saying two very
different things.

> -IUSTEINUS
> (oder Moyshe Dovid)>>

I am Austrian and speak German as a native language, so maybe I can
add some facts to this.

the written  ä or ae  is always pronounced as "e". It is really the
same. Just indicated the origin of a word, if it is the plural of
something with "a" or so...

The written  ü or ue sometimes is pronounced as "i", specially by
people from east, who speak German as a second language.
And it certainly is closer to ü (ue) as u , so if you learn German
and cannot say ü  (ue), better say i instead of u.

Sure the yiddish words mentioned above show umlauts in the plural.

Just the spelling is different, maybe like someone who speaks German,
but did not learn to write in German, and later wrote like he spoke.

However the words mentioned above are very close to the Austrian
pronouncation of the written German.
So all Austrians are Jewish?
*ROFL*

No, I think it is just a dialect, and during the last centuries many
jewish people had been in Vienna and Prag (where the people who spoke
German, simmilar to the German here, and sure with the pronounced i ,
where the written Ü (ue) was)

Servus aus Wien
Angelique

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.sIrMC/YKfCAA/qvCFAA/wpHWlB/TM