[gothic-l] Re: Are EE Jews half-Goths?

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Sat May 5 04:53:10 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., angelique_oh at y... wrote:

> I am Austrian and speak German as a native language, so maybe I can
> add some facts to this.
>
> the written  ä or ae  is always pronounced as "e". It is really the
> same. Just indicated the origin of a word, if it is the plural of
> something with "a" or so...

I will have to defer to your knowledge as a native speaker, but my
understanding was that in Standard German, ae was pronounced as in
English "hat" when in closed syllables, but identically with the (non-
schwa) <e> in open ones. Do you disagree with this?

> Sure the yiddish words mentioned above show umlauts in the plural.

That's my point. Yiddish has lost the front rounded vowels shown in
standard German, the so-called umlaut vowels, but that doesn't mean
it has no umlaut at all.

> Just the spelling is different, maybe like someone who speaks
German,
> but did not learn to write in German, and later wrote like he spoke.

The spelling represents the YIVO orthography... Yiddish is of course
normally written in the Hebrew alphabet. YIVO aimed to be as phonetic
as possible, and to avoid German-style orthography (e.g. using <kh>
instead of <ch>)

> However the words mentioned above are very close to the Austrian
> pronouncation of the written German.
> So all Austrians are Jewish?
> *ROFL*

You're not the first Austrian to tell me this ;)

Zay gezunt un gotish,
Moyshe Dovid Mansfeld (IUSTEINUS)