[gothic-l] Re: Are EE Jews half-Goths?

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Sat May 5 05:05:07 UTC 2001

OK.
> I'm sure that Ostrogoths disliked their Sarmatian offspring because
> Mulatoes are always disliked by their purebred parents. Look at
> Brasil or West Indies Mulatoes and how they are treated. Ostrogoths
> didn't want the parental responsibility for these mixed-blood
> offspring and escaped to Italy. Even today many men run away to
avoid
> parental responsibility. These "Mulatoes" were too embarrassed to
> admit that they were Ostrogoth "bastards" so they invented the
rumour
> that they were Jews from Germany.I think that the Yiddish

It is one thing to convince people that they are Jews, it's another
thing to convince them to therefor follow 613 Commandments, including
painful circumcision and dietary laws, and to form internationally
recognized Rabbinic hierarchies on the basis of that rumor.

> word "mamzer" is how Ostrogoths called their mixed-blood offspring.
> These offspring lived separately from Ostrogoths with their Sarmat
or
> Caucasian mothers and were called mamzer from the
> word "mame"(mother)."Mamzer" is the "scariest" word in Yiddish by
far.

The word Mamzer is a direct borrowing from Hebrew. The word goes all
the way back to the Bible... if you're desperate for proof I can cite
the verse for you. The Latin translation of the Bible keeps the word
untranslated (which means odds are, so did Ulphilas' Gothic
translation).
     While it is possible that the Yiddish word momzer resembles the
Hebrew word by some amazing coincidence, actually coming from an
entirely diffent source, this seems rather unlikely. Furthermore,
Yiddish normally spells the word using Hebrew orthography (while
Yiddish normally uses the Hebrew letters in a manner rather different
from the way Hebrew itself uses them, words borrowed from Hebrew or
Aramaic normally keep their original spelling, no matter how they are
pronounced. Compare the English word hors d'oeuvre, which would be
spelled something like "orderve" if were going by the usual rules for
English... but we're not, we're going by the rules of French, a sure
sign that Yiddish speakers accept that etymology.

-IUSTEINUS

> > >You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a
> blank email
> > >to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.
> > >Homepage: http://www.stormloader.com/carver/gothicl/index.html
> > >
> > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.sIrMC/YKfCAA/qvCFAA/wpHWlB/TM