[gothic-l] Re: Are EE Jews half-Goths?

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue May 8 13:54:38 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Manuel Gutierrez Algaba <algaba at g...> wrote:

> > pretty much like Armenians or Georgians, so it's OK. I'm sure that
> > Ostrogoths disliked their Sarmatian offspring because Mulatoes are
> > always disliked by their purebred parents
>
> I'm my opinion, there is not purebred anywhere, nor have been
> pure bred , never, ever.
>
> If ever existed the mythical "indoeuropean" people, ten minutes
> after its creation it was mixing with neighbouring proto-turks,
> proto-mongols, proto-caucausian or whatever.
>
> The funny story of this list or language learning is not in
> the "purities" but in the random jokes of history and how "mulatoes"
> all over the world mix themselves.
>
> Two things are very interesting :
> - How different people contributed to create an united language.
> Like french, Latin (with its many declensions, probably each one
> contributed by one of the surrounding peoples, Osci, Latini, Albae,
> ...) The very same with Gothic, how it's influenced by surrounding
> languages, and how it synthetized many smaller languages, like
> Alan, Gepid, ... As I see it, Gothic is probably the common
> language of a large number of tribes of related peoples.
>
> - How landscape is affected by "mulatoes" all the time.
> Thanks to the guy who posted "Goth Alania==Catalonia", now
> my map of Spain is much clearer. Funnily enough, old catalonians
> moved westward into Castille, because of Franks. So, modern
> castillians are old catalonians and new catalonians are old
> castillians. All are castillians , all are catalonians, all
> mulatoes, and no one is really anything pure at all.
>

> ---
> MGA

Hi Manuel,

I agree with all you have said above. However, the equation Goth-
Alania equals Catalonia seems to be a bit far fetched. The following
URL gives several theories about the neame Catalonia, none of which
claimis  the Gothalonia variante.

http://www.catalonia.8k.com/

However, the term Gothalani has been used to describe the mixed nature
of the Black Sea Goths/Ostrogoths. I think Wolfram uses the term as
well.

There is also the theory that Andalusia derives its name from the
Vandals who stayed there briefly before leaving for Africa, i.e.
Vandalusia. However, this theory is also not undisputed and some
authors state that it is implausible, based on the fact that the name
only appears from the 10th century, long after the Vandals had left
and even long after the Visigothic kingdom had fallen. But you would
probably know more about that.

cheers

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.sIrMC/YKfCAA/qvCFAA/wpHWlB/TM