[gothic-l] Re: EE Jews descend from Goths

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed May 9 07:36:33 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
> I am sorry, Labovsky, but I feel these ideas are based upon
> a lack of familiarity with Yiddish and German, and it would surprise
> me if such an idea was actually found in Koestler's book.
>
> The reason for my scepticism is that to me Yiddish appears
> as much too closely related to normal German, for it to be
> possible that it be in any way closer to Gothic than normal German
> is. I also believe Yiddish is a language that only arose in
> the late Middle Ages. That is, it descends from Middle High German,
> and not from Old High German.
>
> These ideas I find confirmed in the little handy reference book,
> that I can recommend to those interested in a brief survey of the
Germanic
> languages, written by Astrid Stedje and published by the Wilhelm
Fink
> Verlag in Munich (Uni - Taschenbücher 1499). (it is in the
"Taschenbuch"
> series and is hence not very expensive, but gives a handy overview
of
> the different Germanic languages and their interrelationship).
>
> Here is a sample of Yiddish taken from Astrid Stedjes book (page
106):

>              YIDISHER VISNSHAFTLEKHER INSTITUT
>
>               Max Weinreich, Geschikhte fun der
>
>                      yidisher sprakh.
>
>                       (New York 1973)
>
> Here another example:
>
>   Schpaj nischt in brunem - efscher wesstu darfn fun im trinken
wasser.

> For me, who merely knows normal German, that is not difficult at
> all. It is definitely not Gothic.
>

> Keth

Hello Keth,

I basically agree to all you said above, but your example of
Yiddish caught me out. As a German native speaker I am at a loss to
determine what the above sentence means. Something about a well
(Brunnen - brunem) and drinking (trinken) of water (wasser), but
for the words: Schpaj, efscher, wessto, darfn, fun, I cannot find a
German equivalent and cannot get the meaning of that sentence. Can you
solve the riddle for me?

cheers
Dirk

> > Some Ostrogoths who lived in what is now Ukraine in the 3rd and
4th
> >centuries intermixed with Sarmats who were Iranians and the
offspring
> >became what is now East European Jews. These offspring spoke the
> >dominant German(Yiddish) language and looked like the East European
> >Jews of today. In the Middle Ages these "Mulatoes" were convinced
by
> >the visiting Jewish rabbis that they(Mulatoes) were really Jews
from
> >Germany. The itinerant rabbis did the same trick with Khazars by
> >convincing Khazars to convert to Judaism. These "Mulatoes" were
quite
> >unsophisticated and they believed the rabbis and became ardent
Jews.
> >So there you go.

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.sIrMC/YKfCAA/qvCFAA/wpHWlB/TM