[gothic-l] Re: EE Jews descend from Goths

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Wed May 9 15:26:08 UTC 2001

In a message dated 5/9/01 2:40:10 AM, Keth wrote:

<<  Schpaj nischt in brunem - efscher wesstu darfn fun im trinken

wasser.

 For me, who merely knows normal German, that is not difficult at

 all. It is definitely not Gothic.

To which Dirk replied:

<< for the words: Schpaj, efscher, wessto, darfn, fun, I cannot find a

German equivalent and cannot get the meaning of that sentence. Can you

solve the riddle for me? >>

Shpayen = to spit
efsher = perhaps (cf. Israeli Hebrew 'efshar, stressed on the last styllable)
vestu = you will (from "vest du")
darfn = to have to (unlike German where it means "to be allowed to"! Oddly
enough, cf. thaurb- in Gothic. Proof of Yiddish's Gothic origins? ;)   )
fun = from, of (German von)

"Don't spit in a well - you might have to drink water from it!"