[gothic-l] Re: EE Jews descend from Goths

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Wed May 9 15:28:32 UTC 2001

<<> > It's already been pointed out that Yiddish is derived from
> > OHG.

Sorry - that should be MHG.

>You have evidence of Yiddish prior to the MHG period?>>

I should point out though that there IS evidence for Gothic prior to this
period. Our first texts in Yiddish are dated to about the 1100's (I don't
have the documentation at hand, but I can look it up if you like), which I
believe is durring the OHG period. On the other hand, from a philological
point of view you don't need to go back further than MHG to derive Yiddish...
I don't know how to reconcile those two facts. Perhaps early Yiddish was
essentially identical, dialect-wise, to OHG? I've never read the texts myself.

-JDM