[gothic-l] Re: EE Jews descend from Goths

l_labkovsky at HOTMAIL.COM l_labkovsky at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed May 9 17:50:46 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., jdm314 at a... wrote:

> In a message dated 5/9/01 4:17:08 AM, you wrote:
>
> <<> > It's already been pointed out that Yiddish is derived from
> > > OHG.
>
> Sorry - that should be MHG.
>
> >You have evidence of Yiddish prior to the MHG period?>>
>
> I should point out though that there IS evidence for Gothic prior
to this
> period. Our first texts in Yiddish are dated to about the 1100's (I
don't
> have the documentation at hand, but I can look it up if you like),
which I
> believe is durring the OHG period. On the other hand, from a
philological
> point of view you don't need to go back further than MHG to derive
Yiddish...
> I don't know how to reconcile those two facts. Perhaps early
Yiddish was
> essentially identical, dialect-wise, to OHG? I've never read the
texts myself.
> I'm not a linguist myself but I read in the Encyclopedia Britannica
that there existed two dialects of Gothic: Visigoth and Ostrogoth.
All existing Gothic scripts are of the Visigoth origin. Yiddish
originates from the Ostrogoth Gothic. Besides, Sarmato-Goths could
have developed their own unique language, Yiddish, as many "Mulatoes"
do.