[gothic-l] Re: EE Jews descend from Goths(To Francisc)

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu May 10 16:18:27 UTC 2001

Hi Francisc,

the fact that you were writing about upper German dialects totally
escaped my attention. I thought you meant modern High German. So you
are probably right.

cheers
Dirk

PS did you see my posting no. 3748? From your knowledge of
linguistics, do my observations make sense?

--- In gothic-l at y..., czobor at c... wrote:
> Hi Dirk,
>
> Of course that there is a clear difference between ü and i in
German.
> But I was writing not about standard German, but about High German
> dialects. While Low German dialects keep clearly the distinctions
ü-i
> and ö-e, in many High German dialects ü becomes i and ö becomes e
> (like in Yiddish!). If I remember correctly, this is the case of
such
> dialects like Mittelfränkisch and Rheinfränkisch, and maybe also in
> Bavarian and Austrian. Of course, an educated Franconian or Bavarian
> or Austrian will pronounce correctly the ü and the ö when he speaks
> the literary language, but maybe at home he'll pronounce "Tür" like
> "Tier" (or maybe "Tyr", where "y" is something between ü and i).
> In conclusion, regarding the Umlaut, Yiddish is rather similar to
High