[gothic-l] Re: EE Jews descend from Goths(To Francisc)

czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Thu May 10 16:58:22 UTC 2001

Hi Dirk,

First, do not rely on my knowledge of linguistics, because I'm not a
linguist.
Yes, I saw your posting no. 3748, with the beginning of Pater Noster
in several old Germanic languages, and I enjoyed it very much.
You wrote there:
"My impression is that the Alamannic texts are closest to the Gothic,
followed by Rhine-Francian and Bavarian, while the Old Saxon text of
the Heliand gives quite a different wording and is perhaps more
difficult to compare. Given that the texts are fairly similar and that
the earliest Alamannic text is separated from the Gothic text by over
400 years, I guess that  Alamannic (or any other Germanic
dialect) spoken in the 4th century was not at all very different from
Gothic. What do you think?"
In fact, Alamannic did not appear to me closer to Gothic than the
other Old High German examples, but I think that you are right when
supposing that Alamannic and other German dialects spoken in the 4th
century (before the occurrence of the second consonant shift in High
German) were not very different from Gothic.

Francisc