[gothic-l] Re: Yiddish is based on Ostrogothic

trixie at WALKINCLOSET.COM trixie at WALKINCLOSET.COM
Fri May 11 17:38:50 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., l_labkovsky at h... wrote:
>  Now I know the reason for the confusion regarding the Gothic
origins of Yiddish. The Gothic language according to the Encyclopedia
 Britannica is actually two different languages: the Ostrogothic and
 the Visigothic, similar to the Mandarin and Cantonese branches of
the Chinese language.

-Balderdash! Cantonese and Mandarin are not related; they share the
use of a pictographic "script" which represents ideas, not sounds.
By analogy, the two forms of gothic resemble Scandinavian languages
(with which I have some native familiarity) in having, demonstrably,
diverged from a common root language.  Your other specious assertions
have been well enough adressed here.
-that is all-
trixie palmer (erlendsdottir)