[gothic-l] Re: Yiddish is based on Ostrogothic

Tim O'Neill scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Fri May 11 22:15:56 UTC 2001

l_labkovsky at hotmail.com wrote:

[Excellent and detailed lingusitic evidence demolishing the
idea that Visigothic and Ostrogothic were 'different
languages' snipped]

> > These are my arguments. What are yours (excepting the "Haha")?

> My arguments are based on the 15th edition of E.Britannica,
> Micropedia, Gothic language.

Francisc quoted a later edition of the Britannica which
made it clear that Visigothic and Ostrogothic were
dialects of the same language - which is what anyone who
has studied Gothic at even the most elementary level will
tell you.  I'd be very surprised if your edition of the
Britannica says anything different.

>It doesn't mention these Naples signatures, it only mentions
>the Bible translation. So you must be more informed than the
> Encyclopedia,

That wouldn't be hard, since encyclopaedias are only
designed to give very basic and elementary information.
What Francisc has ably done is demonstrate that your
assertion that Ostrogothic and Visigothic are as different
as Cantonese and Mandarin is nonsense.  As is your
assertion that Ostrogothic is similar to Yiddish.

If you want to engage in detailed academic debate with
people who know what they are talking about you might
want to go beyond using encyclopaedias.

> may be you should publish your
> own Gothic Encyclopedia.

No need - the information Francisc and others have been
presenting to you is readily available to anyone prepared
to do a little reading.

> I think there is lots of misinformation going on in
>this newsgroup for political reasons.

What misinformation would that be?  So far you've made
a series of unsubstantiated assertions and we've responded
with detailed reasons why they seem to be wrong.  Which
elements of the lingustic and historical information we've
present is 'misinformation'?  And considering that gothic-l
is made up of over 100 members from all walks of life and
a large number of countries, I'd be very surprised if we
all had the same political views.  What politics do you
think is coming into play here?  All I can see is people
disagreeing with you because your ideas aren't supported
by any of the evidence. 'Politics' has nothing to do with
it.  Present some detailed evidence to support your views
and you may even change our minds.

Tim O'Neill