[gothic-l] Golem, Yiddish Frankenstein

Cid Vale Ferreira cidvf at UOL.COM.BR
Mon May 14 07:04:38 UTC 2001

hi...

>Golem is a Frankestein-like monster from the Yiddish folklore and according
to the Encyclopedia
>Britannica, 15th edition, he is a Gothic character.

    In this case, I think that the E.B. may have described this legend as a
Gothic one because of its 18th century literary version by Gustav Meyrink (a
great book, indeed). Later, it was one of the main characters of the german
expressionist cinematografy (and the major influence of James Whale's
"Frankenstein"). "Gothic", in this case, could refer to the 18th century
"gothic horror" and not to Ostrogoths...

Carpe Noctem...
Cid Vale Ferreira - cidvf at uol.com.br
Carcasse - Comunidade Virtual da Arte Obscura:
http://www.carcasse.com

"Acredita que é simples livrar-se de uma ferida? Fechar a boca da ferida?"
- Jean Cocteau