[gothic-l] Re: Golem, Yiddish Frankenstein (completion)

czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Mon May 14 09:38:00 UTC 2001

In the Encyclopedia Britannica 2001 Deluxe Edition on CD-ROM, the
article about "Golem" is as follows:

"GOLEM
in Jewish folklore, an image endowed with life. The term is used in
the Bible (Psalms 139:16) and in Talmudic literature to refer to an
embryonic or incomplete substance. It assumed its present connotation
in the Middle Ages, when many legends arose of wise men who could
bring effigies to life by means of a charm or of a combination of
letters forming a sacred word or one of the names of God. The letters,
written on paper, were placed in the golem's mouth or affixed to its
head. The letters' removal deanimated the golem. In early golem tales
the golem was usually a perfect servant, his only fault being a too
literal or mechanical fulfillment of his master's orders. In the 16th
century the golem acquired the character of protector of the Jews in
time of persecution but also had a frightening aspect. The most famous
tale involves the golem created by the 16th-century rabbi Judah Löw
ben Bezulel of Prague. It was the basis for Gustav Meyrink's novel Der
Golem (1915) and for a classic of German silent films (1920), which
provided many details on the movement and behaviour of man-made
monsters that were later adopted in the popular American horror films
on the Frankenstein theme.

Copyright © 1994-2001 Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc."

It says nothing about "Gothic character".

Francisc