[gothic-l] Re: Golem, Yiddish Frankenstein

Nikolai gothologist at YAHOO.COM
Mon May 14 18:28:12 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., l_labkovsky at h... wrote:
>  My previous posting about Golem wasn't posted, so I repeat. One
> proof that East European Jews descend partially from Ostrogoths
could
> be the Golem. Golem is a Frankestein-like monster from the Yiddish
> folklore and according to the Encyclopedia Britannica, 15th
edition,
> he is a Gothic character. So how come EE Jews are the only ethnic
> group to have a Gothic folklore other than Goths themselves? Golem
> has nothing to do with the Torah or such. So the plot thickens!

(time to be tactless)
Well, Herr Labkovsky (or is it Frau?)... this is quite possibly the
stupidest posting (in reference to ancient Goths, Jews, or any other
northern/eastern European group) I believe I have ever seen.
The correlation you have made seems to be a bit like trying to prove
the multiregional hypothesis by referring to trilobite DNA. It
doesn't quite go (round peg - 'No' hole).
And I seem to feel that you are one of those types so buried in your
own conclusions that nothing will ever sway you, and thus I have
given up my little quest to find More evidence on Jewish habitation
of Poland during the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd plague era. (Basically because
I suddenly felt as if I were researching for an ingrate - don'tcha
just Hate that feeling?)
If anyone else is curious, I suppose I can pick it back up. If not, I
will just settle back into my lurker mode and continue desperately to
try and grasp all of this linguistic ...uh, ...lingo that has been
progressing lately.

IUSTEINUS;
> European Jews did traditionally wear a lot of black, just like the
> other modern Goths!

Be nice. We're not all bad. And most of us Do know the difference,
thankyouverymuch. *wink*

Eternally,
Nikolai
^^O^^
(a member of the modern goth subculture ...as well as student of
archaeology & history)