[gothic-l] Question about Catualda

M. Carver matt at INVISIONSTUDIOSINC.COM
Thu May 24 17:34:25 UTC 2001

on 5/24/01 8:45 AM, Alburysteve at aol.com at Alburysteve at aol.com wrote:

> Speaking of Radagais (and on no authority but my own), is it possible that
> his name was something like Rauthagaisa (Redspear) and if so, a Gothic
> cognate with Old English Hrothgar?  Conflicting notions gratefully accepted.

Your options might be considered thus:

1. Raþi- "counting; number" thus Raþigaisa "Countingspear" i.e. spear on
which notches are cut to represent the number of enemies it has transfixed.
2. Raþa- "facile, effortless; ?quick" thus Raþagaisa "Easyspear" i.e. spear
which flies effortlessly from the hand and into the enemy's body.
3. Rauþa- "red" thus Rauþagaisa "Redspear"  i.e. spear stained red with
blood.
4. Hroþi- "glorious" Hroþigaisa "Gloryspear" i.e. spear of magnificent
craftsmanship or success in battle => Hroþgar.

Of attested Go. words, the most fitting here might be 3. as you suggest. As
for the gothic cognate with OE, I'm sure anyone on ANSAX or Englisc-L will
tell you that the OE Hroth- in Hrothgar (> Hroar, Rodger) means something
like glorious (cf. its cognate in Go., 4. above).

Matþaius