[gothic-l] Question about Catualda

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Thu May 24 19:42:43 UTC 2001

For a discussion on the etymology of Radagaesius, see
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gothic-l/message/1062
    (note however that *gairu turns out to be a ghostword, but I can't find
the message where we first discussed this)

-IUSTEINUS

<<on 5/24/01 8:45 AM, Alburysteve at aol.com at Alburysteve at aol.com wrote:

> Speaking of Radagais (and on no authority but my own), is it possible that

> his name was something like Rauthagaisa (Redspear) and if so, a Gothic

> cognate with Old English Hrothgar?  Conflicting notions gratefully accepted.

Your options might be considered thus:

1. Ra i- "counting; number" thus Ra igaisa "Countingspear" i.e. spear on

which notches are cut to represent the number of enemies it has transfixed.

2. Ra a- "facile, effortless; ?quick" thus Ra agaisa "Easyspear" i.e. spear

which flies effortlessly from the hand and into the enemy's body.

3. Rau a- "red" thus Rau agaisa "Redspear"  i.e. spear stained red with

blood.

4. Hro i- "glorious" Hro igaisa "Gloryspear" i.e. spear of magnificent

craftsmanship or success in battle => Hro gar.

Of attested Go. words, the most fitting here might be 3. as you suggest. As

for the gothic cognate with OE, I'm sure anyone on ANSAX or Englisc-L will

tell you that the OE Hroth- in Hrothgar (> Hroar, Rodger) means something

like glorious (cf. its cognate in Go., 4. above).

Mat aius