[gothic-l] FW: MODERATE -- l_labkovsky at hotmail.com posted to gothic-l

M. Carver matt at INVISIONSTUDIOSINC.COM
Tue May 29 02:27:05 UTC 2001

For your notification:

The poster of the attached message has been unsubscribed from the group.
Despite continual requests, list-members were not provided with any
substantial support to his arguments. This message shows no change in the
poster's regard for group policy. While I enjoy inquiries which examine or
follow various theories (and I think this is the healthy and proper
atmosphere for discussion) the unrepetently unscholarly and unprofessional
nature of what must now be considered only 'polemic', only personal agenda,
cannot be tolerated any further. I was hoping the case might in time prove
otherwise. But so be it.

-Matþaius
Gothic-L Owner

-----------------------

From: l_labkovsky at hotmail.com
Date: Monday, May 28, 2001 5:28 PM
To: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Misconceptions about Gothic language

 I've noticed two misconceptions about the Gothic language which are
prevalent on this newsgroup. First, nobody knows the grammar of the
Gothic language and how it sounded. May be the Gothic language
sounded differently from how it was spelled. Second, everybody
assumes that the Gothic language has remained unchanged from the time
when Ulfilas translated the Bible. According to "The Thirteenth
Tribe" by Koestler in the 16th century a German servant of a German
ambassador to Constantinople could understand Crimean Goths. In any
case, I don't need the Gothic language to prove that Sarmatians spoke
German. Upon closer examination of the Encyclopedia Britannica
under "Sarmatians" I discovered that Sarmatians came to Southern
Russia in 2nd century BC and formed a union with Germanic tribes to
raid the Roman Empire. On top of that in the 3rd and 4th centuries AD
Sarmatians were ruled by Goths. So you can see that for almost 5
centuries Sarmatians were in close contact with Germans and you can
be sure that Sarmatians adopted some of a German language which could
be Yiddish. And of course becoming Jews wasn't a problem in Eastern
Europe because rabbis were always proselytizing there.