[gothic-l] (non) Gothic peoples

Alburysteve at AOL.COM Alburysteve at AOL.COM
Thu May 31 21:16:04 UTC 2001

Hi Francisc, Bertil

Statelments like:
>  Yes, the Alans were probably germanicized.
and
>  (Longobards) and a non-Germanic people (Alans; it seems that the Alans
>  that migrated westwards until Spain and accompanied the Vandals in
>  North-Africa were more or less germanicized).

leave me wondering, what, in concrete terms, does "germanicized" mean?
Certainly Alans accompanied the Vandals in their peregrinations but similar
processes would have applied to the Sarmations, Huns, etc who were caught up
in the various movements resulting in the Visi/Ostrogothic entities of the
fifth and sixth century.  While I have seen the term used, it's rarely
accompanied by a concise definition of what it would mean to an individual of
Sarmation, Alan or Hunnic extraction.  Do the authors intend it to be
synonymous with acculturation or is it something different?  Anyone know?

Curiously yours,

Steve O'Brien
Albury,  Ontario