[gothic-l] Re: Cultic leagues

Maureen hessian_18452 at YAHOO.COM
Thu May 31 22:34:07 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar.nordgren at e...> wrote:

A cultic league for example must not, or rather should not, be
connected with overruling political power over the peoples being part
of the league.

Dear Ingemar:

    I do hope this is not terribly off-topic, but it certainly
reminds me of a cultic league controlled by Druids.  They spoke Greek
and Latin in order to conduct trade, kings usually deferred to them
in politicial decisions, and the common people were to obey them in
every respect.  Even their language and teachings were secret, passed
down orally, and not shared outside of the Druidic circle.  Did the
ancient cultic leagues you referred to have a similar hierarchy?  I
know that some Germanic groups were considered sub-groups of Celtic
tribes at one time; but I am interested in the possibility of this
Celtic tradition borrowing from Gaut or Odinn, or perhaps vice-versa?
Did any of the Gothic peoples have cultic leagues akin to those of a
Druidic nature?

Sincerely,

Maureen