[gothic-l] Re: More on the Gothic-Slavic link

andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Tue Nov 6 18:51:35 UTC 2001

Dear Dirk,
yes, I think the case of the Hevelli is similar. The oldest source
mentioning them is the Bavarian Geographer ca.845 AD, who calls
them Hehfeldi. Next are Widukind of Corvey, I, 35, "Sclavos, qui
dicuntur Hevelli" and Thietmar  of Merseburg, IV, 29, "Stoderaniam
qui Heveldun dicuntur" and a charter of Otto I (MGH DO I 105) of
948 AD "provincia Heveldun". Their name is derived from the river
Havel, their proper slavic name seems to have been Stodor'ane.
There was a sanctuary of the god Triglav on the Harlungenberg near
Brandenburg and that may have had some influence on the
historizing misnaming of them as Heruli in the eleventh century.
But the citations with Hevelli or Heruli are clearly younger than the
ones cited above.
Kind regards
                      Andreas
Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universität Wien
Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
A-1010 Wien
Österreich
Tel.0043/1/42-77/272-16
Fax 0043/142-77/92-72

Cobra Gas Powered Scooter. Top speed exceeds 25 mph.
Originally $599.95.
Now $399.95 at Youcansave.com.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/K11sED/OkNDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM