[gothic-l] Re: More on the Gothic-Slavic link

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Nov 7 08:18:36 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., andreas.schwarcz at u... wrote:
> Dear Dirk,
> yes, I think the case of the Hevelli is similar. The oldest source
> mentioning them is the Bavarian Geographer ca.845 AD, who calls
> them Hehfeldi. Next are Widukind of Corvey, I, 35, "Sclavos, qui
> dicuntur Hevelli" and Thietmar  of Merseburg, IV, 29, "Stoderaniam
> qui Heveldun dicuntur" and a charter of Otto I (MGH DO I 105) of
> 948 AD "provincia Heveldun". Their name is derived from the river
> Havel, their proper slavic name seems to have been Stodor'ane.
> There was a sanctuary of the god Triglav on the Harlungenberg near
> Brandenburg and that may have had some influence on the
> historizing misnaming of them as Heruli in the eleventh century.
> But the citations with Hevelli or Heruli are clearly younger than
the
> ones cited above.
> Kind regards
>                       Andreas

Hello Andreas,

that seems plausible. I am surprised though that the name Heruli was
still known after some 600 years afer they ceized to exist. Or from
another point of view, I am surpised that people like Helmold and/or
Adam were so familiar with ancient authors like Procopius. But I
agree, the placename Harlungenberge may have given them the idea of
linking the Heveller/Heveldi (which was the German name for the
Stodorane, i.e. Havel-dweller) with the Heruli.

It makes one wonder to what extent ancient authors like Procopius,
Jordanes, or even Ptolemy have slipped  tribal names and events into
their narratives only to show their familiarity with older sources.

cheers,

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!
Includes black and color ink.