[gothic-l] Sources on the Eruli

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed Nov 7 21:02:00 UTC 2001

For those who are not familiar with German
I can recommend:

Bertil Haggman, "Eruli Influence in South Scandinavia - Migration
and Remigration", journal Migrcijske teme, Zagreb, 15 (1999).
pp- 215-227.

Alvar Ellegaard, "Who Were the Eruli?", Scandia, Vol. 53:1, 1987.

Marvin Taylor's article in RGA is excellent. Personally I don't
agree with Ellegaards theory of the Eruli not being a
people but a warrior band of several Germanic peoples.
There is extensive literature on the Eruli in Swedish.

Erulically and Gothically

Bertil

 I do not know any single book or monography on the Eruli
either, but the last and newest word on them is the article "Heruler"
(philology by G.Neumann, language, history and archeology by
M.Taylor) in Hoops. Reallexikon der germanischen
Altertumswissenschaften 2nd ed., vol.14. Berlin, New York 1999,
pp.468-474, where you will also find a long and exhaustive
bibliography on them.