[gothic-l] Names of Heruls

Troels Brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Sun Nov 25 19:18:39 UTC 2001

It has been discussed at another list if the names of Heruls were of
a clearly Germanic origin. As Gothic List has more linguistic experts
I will ask the question here.

We do not know the origin of the Heruls. Procopius called them Goths,
but we do only know that they lived at the Black Sea between Goths
and Alanes and followed the Huns to Pannonia/Moravia.

I remember following names of Heruls - most of them mentioned by to
Procopius:

Alaric
Aluith
Aordus
Arufus
Aruth
Datius
Fara
Fulcharis
Naulobates
Ochus
Phanitheus
Philemuth
Roduulf
Sintvalt (Sindualt)
Suartuas
Visandus
Uligagus

Silinga

We have of course to be careful with the way they appear above, as
this spelling is due to a translation to English from Latin or Greek
versions written down by authors, who did not understand the Herulian
language.

Furthermore a later appearance among the Germanic nations does not
tell us anything, as this may be due to Herulian descendants.

Does such names indicate if the people was of a Gothic or another
Germanic origin - or mixed with /influenced by / being a Hunnic or
Iranian people?

Troels Brandt

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!