[gothic-l] Re: *ibdalja-

M. Carver me at MATTHEWCARVER.COM
Mon Nov 26 18:50:47 UTC 2001

You all have very good guesses. Sorry for not clarifying the context:

The extant form is "ibdaljin"  (Dat. Sg.)
It is found only in Luke 19:37 CA.
It translates Gk. katabasis, Lat. descensus

I'm willing to bet there's something very close to that at work here
to what Fransisc has suggested. Do we know what the likelihood of -b- for
-f- in voiced clusters, at least as far as orthography goes? I think the 'i'
could have been a simple mis-stroke for 'u' or 'a', especiallly since this
word is only found once.

One problem: I just discovered we also have the word ibuks "backwards,
retrorse, reverse" no doubt related to MnE awk- in awkward (from ON o,fug
?). This ib- element seems to mean something like "back", in which case it
would be much like "id-" in idreiga, idweit, etc. Could this be the ib- in
*ibdaljis? Or is this ib- only an altered form of -af- or -uf- ?

Ibuks: Joh 6:66 CA; Joh 18:6 CA; Luk 17:31 CA

Dalja- is definitely related to dals "valley, depression" (which is also
related to dal-aþ (toward the depression or valley, i.e. down). The question
is what is the declension? Is it str. Masculine -ja or is it weak Neuter
Adjectival Noun -jo? Since the former seems to be an agentive in most cases,
I would suggest the latter.

Your assistance on this last point esp. will help simplify lexical matters
for the MnE-Go dictionary.

-Matþaius

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!