[gothic-l] Names of Heruls

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Tue Nov 27 17:23:10 UTC 2001

Troels,

Taylor is supported by several scholars on the case
of Aruth (from Harudes). Note also Alarich, which was
also a Gothic personal name. Uligang = Vulfgang,
Wisand, and Aluth (as you point out) are also of interest.
Rodvulf/Rodulphus is also typically Germanic. Taylor's
Datius = *Danus is also worthy of consideration.
See also N. Wagner's "Herulische Namenprobleme"
BNF, 16, 1981 406-421. I haven't seen the latter
but it should contain some interesting material.

Erulically

Bertil

> Maybe you should instead notice Bertil's quote of Marvin Tayler, who
> combines Aruth with the Harudes. As Arufus and maybe Aluith could be
> corrupted versions of Harud too, these names could be regarded as an
> indication of your earlier idea about a connection between Harudes
> and Heruls - but this is a wild guess.

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!
Includes black and color ink.