[gothic-l] Re: Names of Heruls

Einar Birgisson einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 28 13:48:41 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "Troels Brandt" <trbrandt at p...> wrote:
> > --- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> > > I am not claiming anything. I just
explained by

> Thule, is that Norway or Sweden for Procopius? Usually it is seen
as
> Norway sometimes the Orkneys and sometimes even Iceland as far as I
> know. The question maybe analogue to what Procopius understood
under
> Britannia/Britta. There is good reason to believe that he thought
that
>  Britannia/Britta is the same as Jutland. Others think that he
> confused Britain with Britany, while at the same time confusing it
> with a mythtical island of the dead. In general, it is clear that
he
> knew very little about that region let alonge Thule.
>
>  Einar,  Hæ Dirk.

     There was no Sweden or Norway in Procopius days. As you of
course do know.  If you look at a map, then you see that Scandinavia
is a landmass of its own. It is a peninsula. There are no natural
landmarks to make any distinction between Norway or Sweden.

My point: It is obvious that Procopius was neither talking of Norway
nor Sweden, but the Scandinavian peninsula.    I think that your
question above is answered now.

You say that usually Thule is seen as Norway. I do not agree with
that.

> Herulic group would have been much smaller; 2,000 at most, probably
> only a couple of hundreds, maybe only members of an extended
family.
> They would have blended into the society of that area without any
> trace, which seems to be supported by negative evidence as no
source
> of later years ever mentioned the name of the Heruls in Sweden or
> Norway.

Einar; This is very interesting. On what basis do you claim that the
Heruli group moving to Scandinavia was only a couple of hundred
people. At most 2000 in number ????

   Bless,bless, Einar.

.

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95