[gothic-l] Re: Names of Heruls

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Nov 28 14:23:19 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:

> >Thule, is that Norway or Sweden for Procopius? Usually it is seen
as
> >Norway sometimes the Orkneys and sometimes even Iceland as far as I
> >know. The question maybe analogue to what Procopius understood
under
> >Britannia/Britta. There is good reason to believe that he thought
that
> > Britannia/Britta is the same as Jutland. Others think that he
> >confused Britain with Britany, while at the same time confusing it
> >with a mythtical island of the dead. In general, it is clear that
he
> >knew very little about that region let alonge Thule.
> >

> Dirk,
>
> Why must we always speculate. Why not read what Procopius says.
>

> VI.XV.27
> "Thus, then, do the inhabitants of Thule live. And one of their most
> numerous nations is the Gauti, and it was next to them  that the
incoming
> Eruli settled at the time in question."
>
> Further the arcaeological findings show a big change at exactly the
same
> time as Procopius says that the Eruli settled next to the Gauti.
There is
> only an unsurmountable forrest between where the Gauti lived and the
lake
> Mälar area where we have many of the archaeological findings from
the 6th
> century.

Hi Tore,

that is all very nice, but the problem is that Procopius sometimes
reported reliable information and sometimes he reported a mixture of
fiction and fantasy. Sometimes it is easy to tell the two appart, but
often it isn't. That is why Procopius has to be interpreted against
the background of other sources, evidence and theory.

Consider the following exerpts from Procopius, and you will see that
he had no clear idea about where or what Britain was and where or what
Thule was.

History of the Wars 8.20.4-5

"The island of Brittia lies in this the northern ocean, not far from
the shore, rather about two hundred stades away, approximately
 opposite the mouths of the Rhine; and it is between Britannia and the
island of Thule. Whereas Britannia lies towards the West opposite the
extremities of the land of the Spaniards, separated from the mainland
[of the Spaniards] by about four thousand stades, no less, Brittia on
the other hand faces the rear of Gaul, the parts of it facing the
ocean – clearly, to the north of Spain and Britannia."

If Brittia is Britannia as Procopius later suggested, we have one
Britain to many. In fact, if Thule is Sweden, his Britta would be
Jutland or so. But then he states it is an island 200 stades from the
mouth of the Rhine. Other authors said that his Thule must be Norway
and that Britta are the Orkneys. But then his distance is out of
scale and his later identification with Britannia makes no sense. What
remains is the fact that Procopius used different and contradictory
sources without making an effort to adjust the information one way or
another. Thus, when he said that somebody went to Thule, he had no
clue where that was, apart from 'somewhere in the North'.

Consider the following expert to see that Procopius' information about
political ongoings in those areas was also highly confused and
probably assempled from unreliable hear-say stories.

History of the Wars 8.20.6-10
"Three very populous nations inhabit the Island of Brittia, and one
king is set over each of them. And the names of these nations are
Angles, Frisians, and Britons who have the same name as the island. So
great apparently is the multitude of these peoples that every year in
large groups they migrate from there with their women and children and
go to the Franks. And they [the Franks] are settling them in what
seems to be the more desolate part of their land, and as a result of
this they say they are gaining possession of the island. So that not
long ago the king of the Franks actually sent some of his friends to
the Emperor Justinian in Byzantium, and despatched with them the men
of the Angles, claiming that this island [Britain], too, is ruled by
him. Such then are the matters concerning the island called Brittia."

Now it is clear, Procopius thinks that Britta is Britannia, meaning
that Thule is completely misplaced in his earlier statement. In fact,
it cannot be clearly identified with anything. Also, with this report
Procopius shows that he had no understanding of the geography of
northern Europe and very little understanding about the political
situation. He used the same names and components again and again. He
knew about the Varnians and squeezed them into all sorts of stories,
but he didn't really knew about the Saxons, so he does not mention
them in Britain or on the continent, although at least two of his
reports would have required him to do so, if he only had reliable
information.

This is why Procopius leaves us no choice but to interpret and to
speculate.

As for archaeological evidence, there is nothing to relate the grave
assemblages of Moravia or the Neusiedler See which are seen as Herulic
with those in Scandinavia or the Upsalla region. In fact some of the
most startling indications are curiosly absent from there.

cheers

Dirk

PS  I think we should move this discussion back to the Germanic list,
where it is probably better placed.

> I quote from Origin of Svear:
> 1. Suddenly a Svea power appeared which was strong enough to wage
war
> against the Gutar, island of Gotland in the Baltic. From where did
those
> Svear come?
> 2. A new fashion in burying saw the light in the Lake Mälar Area
during the
> 6th century. The burials were very ritual, which indicates that
religion
> very much directed the treatment of man for the next life.
> 3. The Svear used the Roman Julian sun calender which is considered
to have
> been introduced in Uppland about the year 500. Still in the 17th
century
> the Disthing-day in Uppsala was calculated according to this
calendar.
> 4. The Æsir-religion which can be interpreted as the religion of the
> warlike masters makes its appearance whilst the Vana-belief probably
was
> the religion of the peaceful farming people. The Æsir-religion can
be
> considered a child of an Iranian religion, which after its founder,
Mani,
> is called Manikeism. This religion gained from the 4th century wide
> acceptance outside of the Persian state of the time. The
Æsir-religion has
> also borrowed ideas from early Christianity.
>
> Tore

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!
Includes black and color ink.