[gothic-l] Ochus-Suartuas-Aordus.

Einar Birgisson einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 28 14:54:29 UTC 2001

Hæ.
 I have not followed closely the discussion about those names and
their possible origins.
But I want to make a contribution.

The name  <ok> in modern Icelandic was written as <oc> in the old
days. As far as I know.
And ok/oc has several meanings. And all do indicate something
negative.
I wonder if  the name Ochus was  a real name!? But a nickname(my
dictionary says; call by a contemptuous name-you get my point).

I noted down(but forgot to take the book with me) that on page 405-6
in Dewings translation of Procopius, then the Heruli people
humiliated Rodulf  and "taunting him with certain other names".
Why could the name Ochus not be one of such names?? And if they did
so with Rudolf, why not with "Ochus"?

Ok/oc can mean a heavy burden. Something to do with oppression or
tyranny.
It can mean too(a meaning which died out in the 17th century)
something with obesity. Beeing obese or excessively fat.

Then the word <okka> has the meaning; complaining,whine,wince,flinch.
But I do not know if <okka> is connected to <ok>.

And then the meaning of ´okra,okur,okrari´
>From a dictionary, okra; practise usury.
                   okrari; vampire,usurer

All a very negative meanings. Therefore I  think that possibly Ochus
is not a real name but a nickname(see above).
Maybe the Heruli king had an other name but the Heruli people did
start to use other names for him,just as they did with Rodulf. Why
not?
They obviously did not have much respect for "Ochus" .

Maybe he was growing fat? Or did not treat people with much respect?
Or was a heavy burden on the Heruli because of his lifestyle?Or he
was the complaining type?
And they started to call him "Ochus" and eventually killed him.
Because they had lost all respect for him. And eventually
this "Ochus" name became his name. At least for the Heruli.

In Old Swedish then ´ok/oc´ is ´ok/oc/uk´ .

I discuss the names ´Suartuas´ and ´Aordus´ is my next letter.

Bless,bless. Einar.

Stop Smoking Now
Nicotrol will help
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2vN8tD/_pSDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM