[gothic-l] Suartuas-Aordus.

Einar Birgisson einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 28 16:15:11 UTC 2001

Hæ.

When I saw the name Suartuas for the first time, then I suspected it
to mean ´Svartur´ which is a old name.
 That name can be seen in the Book of Settlement and in the Sagas..
That name seems not to have been used after about the year
1800.
´svartur´ means; dark,black,dismal,murky etc.

>From the Icelandic Etymological Wordbook;
................svartur < germ.*swarta-< ie. *suordo-, maybe sk.
latin sordës ´dirt´ (< *suordës), sorditus
´dirty´.........................

So Suartuas was not a name with a positive meaning.
And Suartuas was not a nice guy. As far as I remember.

I suspected the name Aordus to be the name ´Hörður´..
Araltes was Haraldur and from that knowledge it seemed to be a
possibility that Aordus was Hörður.
Hörður is an old name that is used in the Book of Settlement and the
Sagas..

According to the Icelandic Etymological Wordbook it could be
connected to ´Hörðar´ that is people from Hordaland(Hörðaland) in
Norway......latin Harudes, greek kharoudes (Ptolemaeus) a name of a
tribe, cf.old Danish Harthæsyssel and a Swedish runic inscription
Haruþs( a man´s name)........................
Well, the meaning is somehow debated. I can not translate everything
they have to say. Do not have time.

Bless,Bless. Einar.

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!