[gothic-l] Re: Names of Heruls

Einar Birgisson einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 28 19:00:12 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "Einar Birgisson" <einarbirg at y...> wrote:
> > --- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> wrote:
> >
> >   Einar; Hæ
Dirk.

> > These are all speculations.
>
> No, these are not speculations, but the results of analyses
conducted
> by scholars who know a great deal more about this than the two of
us.
>  Einar; Hæ Dirk.

 Well, it seems to me that the majority of scholars accept that
Procopius writings about the travel of the Heruli to Scandinavia is
trustworthy..

If you are here(above) talking about the analysis made by Walter
Goffart in Narrators of Barbarian History(I hope the book´s name is
right here) then I did not find his approach trustworthy and it was
very much lacking in depth.And his approach was not made in a neutral
manner. Far away from
that.
I have discussed that opinion of mine in a special letter. The name
of the letter was: Walter Goffart(as far as I remember).

> You can not have any idea about what
> > educated Greeks were expecting. And you have no idea of the
> > intentions of Procopius. Neither you nor anybody else.
>

> Again, I suggest you read some of the modern scholars who analysed
> Procopius' writing and other contemporary works, before coming up
with
>   statements like this. In fact, a great deal is known about
> Procopius' intentions, outlook, political views. Also a great deal
is
> known about the general state of knowledge among educated
Byzantines
> of that time.
>

> > And are you saying that there were these ancient geographers that
> > were so unreliable?
>
> I never said that ancient geographers were unreliable. I was only
> writing about Procopius who was not a geographer.
>
> >Must be if Procopius just copied from them?
>
> Procopius used many sources, some of them reliable, others less so.
> Bits about the mid-night sun in Thule and Scandia were common-place
in
>  the mediterranean world and they add not a jota of extra
credibility
> to Procopius story.

> > And maybe you can support your claims with
evidence.

> Well, at least I have cited passages from Procopius that
demonstrate
> my case extremely well. Speaking of evidence, perhaps you want to
come
> up with something in that line yourself for once.

  Einar;, YOU are making claims. Then YOU have to support your case
with evidence. Claims without evidence or good arguments are not
worth much....
The majority of scholars seem to accept my view here. So it is up to
you to prove that they are not right. And you were making claims
here,not me.

And you have not answered my question from letter 5119.
  From where did Procopius copy the descriptions of the customs of
the Skriðfinnar(the Lappish tribes in northern Scandinavia) from???

If you can not answer that question in a satisfactory way then I will
assume, that you are making claims that you can not support with good
arguments nor evidence. That is you are just expressing you opinion
or the opinion of likeminded scholars. Scholars who might be making
claims,they can not support with evidence or good arguments..

> I know, for you Procopius just has to be reliable, his story just
has
> to be true no matter what arguments and evidence casts doubt on it,
> because you want to promote you theory according to which  the
Heruls
> went on to settle in Iceland. On the way to achieve that you bash
> together all sorts of indications that suit you and discard
anything
> that stands in your way.

  Einar; You have a great problem of sticking to the subject of
discussion. Unfortunately for you, your analysis of my intentions is
not right. I have no obsession about that matter. I am really relaxed
because I have so far not seen any arguments from you that do cast
doubt on Procopiu´s writings(about that particular subject).

And the above sentence: "On the way to achieve that you bash together
all sorts of indications that suit you and discard anything that
stands in your way"
Unfortunately you analysis here is not right either. Here you are
descriping your own way of arguing against Procopiu´s writings(about
that particular subject). So you must be writing in front of a mirror.

And I have great problems taking the writings of Walter Goffart(about
Procopius and Jordanes) seriously. It seems to me that many scholars
have the same problems.

> Your argument would benefit greatly from a bit more open-mindedness
> and especially from a bit more up-front information.

 Einar; I think you should incorporate this open-mindedness in your
approach. That would help a lot when discussing that subject.

Bless,bless. Einar.

> cheers,
> Dirk

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95