[gothic-l] Re: Names of Heruls

Troels Brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Thu Nov 29 02:46:30 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> Risiulf (who may have been a Herulic prince with a claim
> to a Langobardic-Herulic overlordship, according to
> G. Hauptfeldt> Varnians in that year might support that.
> What is important is that
> until this point we have two independent sources, plus
archaelogical
> evidence to support at least the presence of East Germanic people
or
> people influenced by Hunnic customs in that area.

Dirk,

We know that some Heruls were accepted in the Bavarian and Lombardian
dynasties, but we do not know if Marcellinus and Procopius covered
the same group. The important and reliable information from Procopius
is - as earlier mentioned - regarding the return of the royal
candidate 35 years later.

> don't believe that they would have effected the massive religious,
> cultural and political change that you attribute to them. Note that
> reportedly 20,000 Saxons who went to Italy with the Langobards and
who
> returned after a few years left no mark on the archaeolgical
landscape
> in southern Lower Saxony were they are supposed to have settled.

Why should they, if they returned after a few years?

> This
> Herulic group would have been much smaller; 2,000 at most, probably
> only a couple of hundreds, maybe only members of an extended
> family.

The only figures we know from Procopius are, that the envoy found
MANY of royal blood in Scandinavia, and that ONE candidate was
followed by his brother and 200 young warriors. Your figures are
presented as the pure guesswork they are.

Reading the next mails I am afraid we are moving against repetitions.
Therefore I have only one further remark.

In your discussion with Einar you mention, that the midnightsun was
known and that some of his information about the Scandinavian
Peninsula (his Thule) was taken from old geographers. I agree that it
is so and this should also be allowed. However Procopius emphasized
regarding the midnightsun, that "I made inquiry from those, who came
to us from the island". Please tell us the motive behind that lie,
and I also think you owe Einar to tell from where he "stole" that
very specific information in Book VI,xv,6-15.

Troels

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!
Includes black and color ink.