[gothic-l] Re: Names of Heruls

Einar Birgisson einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Thu Nov 29 16:59:07 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "Troels Brandt" <trbrandt at p...> wrote:
> > --- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> > > Risiulf (who may have been a Herulic
> > Why should they, if they returned after a few years?
>

> At another point in his works, Procopius explained that an Angian
> princess send 100,000 warriors in 400 ships to wage battle against
the
> Varnians. Procopius emphasises that this is 'absolutely true'. Yet,
> any historian will tell you that this is impossible. No ship at the
> time could carry 250 warriors and the number of 100,000 is vastly
> inflated at any rate, while the whole story is believed to be an
> invention anyway. Thus, with our original source beeing the 'mother
of
> all guess-workers';-) some guessing must be allowed on our part as
> well.
>
> Secondly, I don't 'owe' Einar anything. In fact, most of my
arguments
> have been completely ignored by him. He jsut refuses to engage in
any
> of them and in declares in general terms that I have never
presented
> any. Anyway, I told him to look up J. Svennung in this matter who
> explaines were authors like Jordanes and Procopius got their
> information about the Scerefennae and Fennae from.

  Einar; Hæ, Dirk.        Of course you do not ´owe´ me anything.

 And I have not refused anything. I really take notice of your
arguments and read carefully what you have to say.
 And I did not "declare in general terms that you have never
presented any" (see above)

I meant(which I thought was obvious) that I had not seen any
arguments from you, that were convincing enough to cast a serious
doubt on Procopiu´s writings(about that particular subject.)

Bless,bless. Einar.

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!
Includes black and color ink.