[gothic-l] Re: Names of Heruls

Troels Brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Fri Nov 30 01:18:35 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "Troels Brandt" <trbrandt at p...> wrote:
> >
> > In your discussion with Einar you mention, that the midnightsun
was
> > known and that some of his information about the Scandinavian
> > Peninsula (his Thule) was taken from old geographers. I agree
that
> it
> > is so and this should also be allowed. However Procopius
emphasized
> > regarding the midnightsun, that "I made inquiry from those, who
came
> > to us from the island". Please tell us the motive behind that
lie,
> > and I also think you owe Einar to tell from where he "stole" that
> > very specific information in Book VI,xv,6-15.
>

> First, as I said above, in the context of the 100,000 warriors
> Procopius vouches that this is the trues and no less than 100,000
were
> sent to the Anglians. Thus, his claim that he made inquiries in
> another context does not mean that the information is reliable.
>
> Secondly, I don't 'owe' Einar anything. In fact, most of my
arguments
> have been completely ignored by him. He jsut refuses to engage in
any
> of them and in declares in general terms that I have never
presented
> any. Anyway, I told him to look up J. Svennung in this matter who
> explaines were authors like Jordanes and Procopius got their
> information about the Scerefennae and Fennae from.

Dirk,

I did not ask about the Fennae. Taking your manipulation-theories in
other connections in consideration, I expect your answer on the two
questions about the midnightsun before opening the discussion again.
Take your time if that is what you need.

> PS  Since people seem to 'owe' others replies, perhaps you could
take
> on the obligation to answer the question how Procopius could be so
> sure about the 100,000 Anglians in 400 ships if he is such a
reliable
> informant?

Like I have earlier answered your question about the number of the
Heruls, I have also agreed, that Procopius was not reliable when he
quoted old written sources and figures not being a part of the Roman
military system (incl. these Anglians). He was not critical against
his sources like a modern historian - just like other ancient
historians. Neither had he any clear understanding of the geography
outside the Roman Empire of his time. Although he was sometimes
manipulating, his strength was the events witnessed by people
involved in the Vandal and Gothic Wars of his own time - his own
personal surroundings. Therefore the Anglian figures do not show much
about the reliability of the Datius-story.

Troels

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!
Includes black and color ink.