[gothic-l] Re: Vaklan et c.

The Gothologist gothologist at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 1 14:19:55 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar.nordgren at e...> wrote:
> You wrote from the beginning:
> "Kõhna vaska om ikki vaklan"
> In short it could be a Germanic language and the meaning COULD be,
if
> all above is true, which is indeed very dubious, as follows:
>
> "I will clean it up(or something similar) (or wash myself) if I do
not
> fall down ( e.g. because I am exhausted)."
>
> Well, this may be regarded more as a play with words than a serious
> interpretation but dream-language is a hard nut to crack

Well, the sentence was found at
http://haldjas.folklore.ee/rl/date/saksa/teil05.htm

and had been translated into deutsch as; "Ein mageres Kalb ist immer
madig" ...but which word is to represent madig?
Vaska?

Doesn't madig mean maggot-ridden... or maggoty?

Anyhoo... the word "Vaklan" ...that was the word in my dream. It was
spoken almost as if it was a name of someone... or a name of
a 'people' or 'tribe'.

...but now that I think of it... at the point it was said in the
dream... was after some kind of battle. Maybe he was saying he was
tired?

The thing that really bothers me, though, ...is that I do not speak
these languages (only a bit of German and Spanish)... and I live in
the middle of America. English is all I hear, day in and day out.
Other than the occasional word(s) displayed here. I do not watch non-
english speaking films... I am just not exposed to anything other
than english.
...so where could I have gotten this word from?
It came up as Estonian on a search... but that was only for one
spelling. Other spellings showed it to be Danish, Russian, Swedish,
and something else I cannot remember.

...Teutonics... I know they encompassed a region around modern-day
Poland... but what was the furthest extent of their lands at what
time period? Did they have a language of their own?

And I will ask for personal replies to this string, as I do not wish
to upset the topics here too much for the list theme.
gothologist at yahoo.com

Thanks, for those who are trying to help me with this.

Rod
(Nikolai)

> Kindly and not so seriously
> Ingemar