[gothic-l] Re: Vaklan et c.

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Tue Oct 2 08:51:46 UTC 2001

Hi Rod,

--- In gothic-l at y..., "The Gothologist" <gothologist at y...> wrote:
> ...Teutonics... I know they encompassed a region around modern-day
> Poland... but what was the furthest extent of their lands at what
> time period? Did they have a language of their own?

The Teutons (or Teutonic Knights) were Germans and spoke German (fact
suggested also by their name), and imposed this language, together
with Catholicism, to the Old Prussians (that formerly were pagan and
spoke a Baltic language, related to Latvian and Lithuanian, but quite
distinct).
I have not a history book at hand right now, so I can not give you in
this moment exact information about the spatial and temporal extension
of the Teutonic Order.
As far as I remember, the kernel of their state was the above
mentioned land of the Old Prussians, i.e. Prussia Orientalis (today's
Kaliningrad region of the Russian Federation, an enclave in northern
Poland). Later the Teutonic state extended eastwards, comprising
today's Latvia and other territories. The time period of the
existence of the Teutonic state I can not remember precisely, neither
roughly, but VERY roughly speaking it was somewhere between 1000-1500
AD.

Francisc

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search