[gothic-l] Re: Vaklan et c.

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Tue Oct 2 11:01:15 UTC 2001

Hi Andreas,

Of course I did not confuse the ancient Teutoni with the mediaeval
Teutonic Order, but I understood that Rod's question was referring to
the latter.
And, of course, you're right, this is off topic (excepting the
ethymological connection between "Teutoni" and thiuda...)

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at y..., andreas.schwarcz at u... wrote:
> Hi Rod and Francisc,
> you should not confuse the ancient Teutoni (more of a theme for
> the germanic list) and the medieval Teutonic Knight  Order. The
> Teutoni probably came from Jütland, before they invaded the lands
> of the Boii together with the Cimbri. In 113 BC they defeated a
> Roman army near Noreia in Noricum. Then they went on to Gaul,
> where we lose trace of the Teutoni.  The Amboni, who went with
> them there, were annihilated by the Roman General Marius in 102
> BC at Aquae Sextiae. The Cimbri met a similar fate in the battle of
> Vercellae in Northern Italy in 101 BC.
> The Teutonic Knight Order was founded as a hospitaller´s order
> before Acres in 1190 AD, turned into a knights' order in 1198 AD
> and moved to Masovia in 1226 AD. In 1525 AD the High Master of
> the order turned protestant and became Duke of Prussia as a
> vassal of the king of Poland.
> Both Teutoni and the Teutonic Order are not really a theme for this
> list.
> Kind regards
>              Andreas Schwarcz
> Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
> Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
> Universität Wien
> Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
> A-1010 Wien
> Österreich