[gothic-l] Re: Vaklan et c.

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Oct 2 13:19:01 UTC 2001

> ...Teutonics... I know they encompassed a region around modern-day
> Poland... but what was the furthest extent of their lands at what
> time period? Did they have a language of their own?
>
> And I will ask for personal replies to this string, as I do not wish
> to upset the topics here too much for the list theme.
> gothologist at y...
>
> Thanks, for those who are trying to help me with this.
>
> Rod
> (Nikolai)

Hi Rod,

I hope I am not repeating somebody elses answer. But to quickly point
you in the right direction. There were Teutones, which were an ancient
tribe that together with Cimbri and Ambrones moved plundering across
Europe in around 120AD eventually upsetting the Romans, who
annihilated them.  The Teutones maybe the same as the Celtic Toutones
of the region of modern Switzerland.

The Teutonic Order of Knights (Deutscher Ritterorden) is something
completely different. This was a German crusaders' order, that was
founded in the Holy Land, but later (from about 1220 to 1525)
concentrated its activity on the lands of the Prussians in modern
north/East Poland. The former German provinces West- and Ostpreussen,
which existed in various forms from the early 13th century to 1945
owed their existence to the Teutonic Order. By the way these provinces
more or less co-incide with the area of the  Wielbark culture(
Wielbark is the modern Polish name of the formerly German village of
Willenberg), which is closely associated with the early Gotones, the
possible forefathers of the Goths and which bring us back to the topic
of this list.

cheers,
Dirk

PS Teutons is also (an older) synonym for ancient Germanic to
distinguish from modern Germans. However, the word 'Teutone' is also
used for modern Germans in figurative speech.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Pv4pGD/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM