[gothic-l] The Lament of Gudrun and the sayings of Hamdir in the Poetic Edda

kaoru666 at HOTMAIL.COM kaoru666 at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 6 18:58:28 UTC 2001

Hails.
As you know the Guðrúnarhvöt and the Hamðismal, the final chants in
the Elder Edda belongs to an epic cicle of gothic origin. The Lament
of Gudrun or Guðrúnarhvöt does not seem to apport anything new, as it
is simply a reelaboration of the fragment of the Getica concerning
king Hermanaricus' vengeance on Sunilda, dismembered by  four wild
horses. But the sayings of Hámdir still can relate that King
Jormunrekk ordered dead to Svánhild, smashing her under the legs of
gothic horses. Now the dead of Svánhild, this time daughter of Sigurd
and Gudrun, has passed to explain itself by a personal motivation -
Jormunrekk's Jealousy- and not, of course by a politic reason, as we
can still see Jordanes' chronicle. And there are many other
discrepancies.
There are hypothesis that there were gothic written versions (as most
of the content on the Eddas were preserved by oral tradition) and
also Frankish and Burgundian (Sígurd history) of those chants, but I
don't know how probable is that possibility, of course not
impossible.
 Please tell me your opinion on Hamðismal and the hypothesis of the
written documents.

Thanks for taking the time,
Alberto

FREE COLLEGE MONEY