[gothic-l] Re: The Lament of Gudrun and the sayings of Hamdir in the Poetic Edda

Håkan hakan36 at SPRAY.SE
Thu Oct 18 23:18:39 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., kaoru666 at h... wrote:

Hails Alberto!
I remember there were such thoughts as you described about half
a year ago or more. There were some voices that supported that parts
of the islendic Edda had a frankish, bavarian and even visigothic
origin. Some of the old norse sagas about Sigurd(Sigfried)Fafnirsbani
and Regin the dwarf is still sung today on the misty Faroese islands.
I have recorded some extracts of a record and some gothic verses from
St John Chapter 6. I am thinking about to put it on the net soon. I
could send you one if you want to. Otherwise you have to wait for my
homepage to be available on the net. For the pronounciation I got
some help from the discussion that was going on two to three years
ago and Matthaius site about the language.

Greetings from

Håkan Liljeberg
> Hails.
> As you know the Guðrúnarhvöt and the Hamðismal, the final chants in
> the Elder Edda belongs to an epic cicle of gothic origin. The
Lament
> of Gudrun or Guðrúnarhvöt does not seem to apport anything new, as
it
> is simply a reelaboration of the fragment of the Getica concerning
> king Hermanaricus' vengeance on Sunilda, dismembered by  four wild
> horses. But the sayings of Hámdir still can relate that King
> Jormunrekk ordered dead to Svánhild, smashing her under the legs of
> gothic horses. Now the dead of Svánhild, this time daughter of
Sigurd

http://us.click.yahoo.com/d49MCB/3WDDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM