[gothic-l] Re: The Lament of Gudrun and the sayings of Hamdir in the Poetic Edda

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Fri Oct 19 11:14:13 UTC 2001

Hails, Matþaiu!

I notice that you have re-gothicized "Swanhild" as "Swanahilds".
But Jordanes uses "Sunilda", that is interpreted as "Sühne-hild"
(Sühne in German means "atonement") and probably was reinterpreted
later (probably by the Scandinavians) as "Swan-hild". Thus, the Gothic
form could been rather *Sunihilds.

Francisc

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Gi0tnD/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM