[gothic-l] Study of Gothic Remains

Oskar Andersson o.andersson at GAMLABYN.COM
Fri Oct 19 13:05:26 UTC 2001

Hi,

I agree on this. Moreover, there's an author, Luigi-Luca Cavalli-Sforza who has done quite some work on population genetics and migratory patterns. I am not sure whether he actually did much on patterns in AD, but he has done quite some work on migratory patterns during the Neolithical revolution (approx. 10 000 years ago)and the arrival of modern man in Europe (approx 40 000 years ago).

He has this big book called "The History And Geography Of Human Genes," which ought to deal with some of the migratory patterns in 100BC-700AD. Unfortunately I haven't read this book, but I warmly dare to recommend it since I absolutely adore his other books, like "The Great Human Diasporas" and "Genes, People and Languages."

Best,
Oskar

> Dear Listmembers,
>
> Was delighted recently to discover in Peter Heather's
> _The Goths_ the importance he believes the new ability
> of extracting DNA from ancient bones - even from
> cremated bone material - has for producing more
> precise estimates of the Gothic-Erulic migrations to
> the area of the Black Sea.
>
> Underneath recommended reading on the subject of ancient DNA:
>
> S. Audic and E. Beraud-Colomb, "Ancient DNA Is Thirteen Year
> Old" in Nature Biotechnology, Volume 15, September 1997. The
> first successful recovery of ancient DNA, from quagga and
> human mummies, inspired enough interest to open an entire field
> of research. And much has happened since 1997.
>
> >From time to time I will return with news in this important field
> for the further study of the Goths.
>
> Gothically
>
> Bertil