[gothic-l] Fourteenth Gothic War, 376 - 382 AD

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Fri Oct 19 07:06:44 UTC 2001

The Roman Provincial Governor Lupicinus had
attempted to assassinate the Gothic leaders
at a dinner in Marcianopel. This led to the
Fourteenth Gothic War. In the battle "ad salices"
the Goths were victorious and it led to an
extensive plunder of Thracia and Macedonia.
At Adrianople in 378 AD Roman elite troops under
Emperor Valen´s suffered a terrible defeat,
perhaps the worst Roman catastrophy ever.

New Roman troops were brought up to stem the tide,
but Gratianus, who had to bring troops all the way
from Gaul, could only barely hold the border. As
Augustus in the east, Flavius Theodosius I, managed
to drive back the Goths somewhat. Flavius engineered
deals with the different Gothic leaders.
A treaty with King Athanarik led to settlement
of Goths in Thracia and Macedonia.

Gothically

Bertil